Monday, May 2, 2016

MAY i say, i LOVE you Mahallies

Happy May, Mahallies! 

I am BEYOND excited because May means Mothers Day, and Mothers day means I GET TO CALL HOME (and so should everyone else to say thank you to their mothers for carrying extra weight, suffering with crazy cravings and swelling for 9 months). Go take your mom on a date, and tell her you love her! 

This week I've gained a greater appreciation for my parents - especially because of the way they raised me. Their teachings, which were heavily influenced by the gospel of Jesus Christ, molded me, and had an everlasting effect on the way I think...which is VITAL here on the mission, and in life, because you can either move forward and grow from the situations you're put in, or you can choose to play the victim and throw a sad little pity party for yourself. We all must understand that it's our CHOICE. our CHOICE to show love to those who are unkind to us, our CHOICE to choose to follow Christ's example, our CHOICE to choose happiness, our CHOICE to pick ourselves up and keep moving forward.

That's not to say it's always going to be rainbows and butterflies. There have been days out here when walking out into what felt like an oven of dusty roads and slammed doors didn't seem like the first thing I'd want to do...but we all have the power to make the best of our situation. On days like those, I use the advice I got from a really great missionary - say a prayer for motivation. Ask for the power and the strength to move forward and tell Heavenly Father you're going to give it you're all, you just need Him to keep you going. And those are the days I've seen the BEST miracles. 

That happened this week - my companion, Sister Leon, and I were walking home after having a day just full of dropped appointments. It looked like it was going to start raining really hard, the lightning was already starting, so we decided we should just start walking back home. And just as we started on our way, a crazy lightning bolt struck so bright, we were shocked because we thought someone from the passing tricycles had just taken a photo of us! And right as that lightning struck...a boy appeared out of no where and asked us if we were the Mormon missionaries! Haha we told him "YEAH! WE ARE" and he went on to explain how he'd been looking for the missionaries for the last couple years, and haven't been able to find any! And then he went on to tell us how he'd been taught before, and really wanted to be baptized...and that there are 26 of them at their house, all ready and waiting for the gospel of Jesus Christ! 

I know that Heavenly Father provided us with the miracle we needed to push forward. I was asked earlier this week why I'm a missionary...and to be honest, it's because I know the gospel of Jesus Christ is true. I know it without a doubt. I know that, even with the crazy heat and rejections and distance from home, it is SO worth it to be out here. There's nothing greater than to be able to witness Heavenly Father's miracles so closely. The feeling of watching people's lives change, and being allowed to play a part as a vessel of God during the process...it's more happiness than I could ever express. I've watched people's entire countenance change as they grow closer to Heavenly Father. Because, in reality, we can search around with our eyes closed and try to figure it out all we want...but His eyes are eternal. He can see everything. He can see us for our eternal potential and He knows what can make us happiest. All we have to do is ask for guidance, and be willing to follow. It's so simple, but we make it so much harder than it really has to be! 

I know it's true. And I know that along the way, we're going to make mistakes. And others will too. But be kind, with your thoughts and deeds. Because we're all trying our best to get to where we want to be. So if you think of who you are & who you want to be...and it's not the same...if there's a gap...then fix it. Ask God for the strength to better yourself & push forward in faith! 

I know that you'll be able to leave people and places better than you found them if you commit to become a more Christ-like person today. Pick an attribute you feel you need to improve, and take it to God. Ether 12:27.

I love you guys, and I'm so grateful for the impact each of you have made in my life. Thank you for your support and your love!

See you in 11,

Sister Calica

Also...here are some pictures for you to enjoy! Check out my new boyfriend, he's pretty sweet AHAHA. (joke lang guys...kinda ahahaha) 



No comments:

Post a Comment