Sunday, September 11, 2016

Count your blessings, See what God has done.



Hey Mahallies!

So this week, I got to go to Tagaytay! It was the most beautiful spot ever, and I felt like, from just the view, I could see the Phils go on forever! It's amazing what has been created by God's hand. 

In other news, I'd love to speak to you today about blessings. This week, our investigators, Jennifer Gonzales, Mcjinx Paras, and Rex Paras got baptized! This family is amazing, and I don't think I've ever met people so ready for the gospel. 

We visit them almost daily, and have grown very close to each of them. From just seeing them, you'd never be able to tell that they had come from such hardship. Their home is built out of boards and tin, on top of a field of mud. Their source of living is their vegetables, which Nanay Jen sells all day, and what they can't sell...that becomes their meals. During lessons, they'd share about their lives, and told us that this year was a lot more blessed than before - they used to go house to house collecting plastic to make money, and would have to bathe in a filth ridden river by their home. The boys would only be able to go to school twice a week, because most days they'd try to help their mom get enough money for food. And they laughed as they told us that they LOVED the rain! They would take out buckets to collect it all so they could cook and have a clean shower and wash their clothes. They spoke of it as such a blessing. And yet, with all this "lack" they still manage to laugh and love each other. They are closer than almost any other family I've ever seen. They are willing to share and go out of their way to feed us whenever they have the means to do so. 

I remember one night, they shared a meal with us, and allowed us to get first pickings. Sister Jen said, "go ahead and take all that you want! Don't be shy." So my companion and I scooped some corn beef on our plates, and after we were finished, I watched as Mcjinx put some on his. His brother, jokingly (but actually meaning it) said HEY HEY SLOW DOWN! OTHERS OF US HAVE TO EAT TOO!...and only then did I realize that the small bowl of meat was all they had to eat.

I don't think that any of us will ever really understand how gracious God has been to us each and everyday, until we experience for ourselves, and see first hand, exactly how blessed we are. These stories are not rare. Most of the people - even my companions - have told me that they come from families that have gone periods where food was scarce and the lifestyle was low...and yet, they still find it in their hearts to see the blessings they have been given. 

I love the people here, and from their examples alone, I have learned so much. I'm ever grateful for all that I have been given, for my education, for my family, for my friends and loved ones, for this gospel, and for all the opportunities God has given me. Please, never ever believe that blessings have been scarce. Because if you have shoes on your feet and enough food to eat, you've already been given much, much more than the people here. 

I know that Heavenly Father is aware of you, but do your best to be aware of Him. Give thanks for all you have - count your blessings. I promise you that as your share, as Christ would, you will always have enough, and your blessings will only multiply.

I leave these things with a humble heart, in Jesus Christ's sacred name, Amen. 

No comments:

Post a Comment