Sunday, September 4, 2016

A time for change

"Alma 50:16"

Mahal na mahal na mahaaaalllll ko kayo, Mahallies! I just wanted to go ahead and thank everyone for the love and early birthday greetings. it's the big 2-1 everybody! Aha, it's actually my first birthday away from home, so it's definitely one for the books. 

I love my new area, and all the people here. I'm new, but they've done all they can to make me feel so welcome! Grateful for all the food, the packages, the prayers, and the love they've given. 

Today, however, I wanted to speak of the greatest gift you and I have been given: The Atonement of Jesus Christ. His love for us started long before the cradle in Bethlehem, and the impact of his sacrifice will continue to affect us forever. What's amazing is that, in just the space of 3 years of His ecclesiastical ministry, He taught us all we must know to be headed back towards the Heavenly Kingdom of Heavenly Father. And I, in comparison, have been blessed with 18 months to share why His 33 years on Earth means so much to all of us.

The Atonement He paid makes it possible for us to be cleansed from the frailties of mortality - and the sins we've accumulated throughout our lives. I've known this throughout my life, but it isn't until you apply the atonement that you realize it's worth. Avoiding repentance and covering up sin is like walking down the pathway of life with a ton of rocks in your backpack. Adding a rock every time you sin, and getting weighed down...when we could be moving forward a lot faster with the weight lifted off our backs. The only way for that weight to be lifted is through repentance. By doing all we can to fix our wrongs, then giving all our sins to God to make amends. There is no point in continually going down the wrong road - no matter how far you get, you're only further from the place you want and need to be - further from His Heavenly Kingdom. 

I know that repentance is hard. But I also know that we are daughters and sons of a loving Heavenly Father. That won't change, no matter what we've done. HIs love will never evaporate or lessen. But I know OUR love for Him, and His son, Jesus Christ, will only increase when we learn to let go of ourselves, of our weaknesses, of our sins, and sacrifice them all to be closer to Him. I know, without a doubt, that we mustn't judge. If people try to change and make amends and be a better person, we should push them forward. No one should ever be described based on their worst sin. I know that we must learn to show a Christ-like love and forgive with a Christ-like forgiveness if we want to be any closer to the person He would have us be. 

I am grateful for another year to learn, to grow, and to serve. I couldn't be more thankful for your love and support. I pray for you all, and wish you all happiness. I'm grateful for my loving and merciful Heavenly Father, my brother and Savior, Jesus Christ, and my guide and comfort, the Holy Spirit. I'm grateful for the scriptures - the Book of Mormon and the Bible. I appreciate the sacrifices of all the prophets of God. I beg you all to strive to grow closer to God, and let go of anything holding you back from doing so. It will change your life, and your eternities. I leave this as my earnest hope and prayer for all of you, in the name of our Savior, Jesus Christ, Amen. 

 Inline image 1

No comments:

Post a Comment