Monday, August 8, 2016

Golden City is Golden

I'm livin' in the City of Gold, Mahallies, and I love it here.

It was super bittersweet saying goodbye to San Pedro and all those I've grown to love (especially my companion, Sister Beltran) buuuut I am so happy to be in my new area! I know, without a doubt, that it has been prepared. 

My new companion, Sister Basilio, is so willing to serve everyone she meets, is humble, full of gratitude, patient, and is so full of joy! It was so easy to feel comfortable with her, and we agreed that after only 4 days, it felt like we'd known each other for years! My new kabahays are tons of fun as well (Sister Table and Sister Verances). We bought a bunch of Filipino knick-knacks and they've been teaching me how to be a REAL filipino! Parents, if you're reading this, you'd be proud to know...I officially am a master of jack stone and chinese garter (haha not really, i still suck, but I'll work on my skills, and we'll play when I get home ahaha). 

As for the area and the members, people here are SO kind! And the scenery is beautiful. It's half city, half province. The members just want to stuff the missionaries with food constantly (which we greatly appreciate) and it's only been 5 days...but I feel at home already.

In the last few days, I learned something very key to happiness: we should never suppress a generous thought. Whether it be a thought to serve,to say something kind, to listen to someone in need of listening, or to express our love for others...these small acts of kindness go such a long way. It says so much about our character, our love for our fellow man, and ultimately, our love for God.

People call themselves Christians, but how often do they actually think of Christ? How often do their actions reflect His, and their words uplift, the way His would? We cannot be Christians by the title alone, but it is necessary that our Christianity be conveyed by thought, word, and deed. 

Do you love God? Do you love everyone?
if the answer isn't the same, the first one isn't true. 

Because if we really loved our Heavenly Father, we would love each and every member of His family, and seek to see their worth the way He sees them. We are each, individually, of infinite worth in the sight of our Heavenly Father. 

I'm grateful for the examples of love and patience I've seen in my own life. My family members and companions are great examples of this. I'm grateful for every opportunity I've had to practice and develop charity. I know that as we strive to develop Christ-like attributes, such as charity, love, and a willing heart to serve, we can gain the joy and peace that comes from following in His ways. So...if you find yourself a little short on patience today, or have the prompting to do something kind for someone...don't hesitate to do the right thing. We are designed to grow, to develop, and to become someone better than we are. Heavenly Father cares a lot more about who we can become than who we were...so if you've struggled with the ability to love those around you, pray for help and push forward! Don't ever tell yourself you can't, because that's the adversary's biggest lie. Go forth and serve 😇 

Mahal na mahal ko po kayo, at alam ko ang Ating Ama sa Langit ay iingatan po kayo. 

No comments:

Post a Comment