Monday, July 18, 2016

Halfway there.

Mahallies - the 14th made it official...I'm nine months closer to seeing all of you again! I'm halfway there! It's the most bittersweet feeling. I'm so excited to see you all, but simultaneously, the idea of leaving the Philippines and all these people I've learned to love breaks me. I feel like there are too many people I still have to meet, and countless people that need the relief and joy that comes from this gospel, and gaining a stronger relationship with God.

This week was more than amazing, Mahallies. Aha, and I realize, I probably say that every week...but that's just because the blessings are pouring at such an overwhelming rate, I can't help but stand in awe! 

I got to witness Maria (12) and Nina(14) Ellis, two of our investigators, get baptized this week! Watching them enter into the water was the most rewarding feeling because even though there were push backs and obstacles, I knew that they were ready and willing to take the name of Jesus Christ upon them and be washed of their sins. I could see how much they had grown in the gospel. Their love for reading the scriptures developed rapidly, and as they continued to read, their commitment to follow the commandments grew stronger. The Book of Mormon is a book with a promise - anyone who reads it with the intent to learn and to grow spiritually, and not simply to fault-find, will find themselves closer to God and showered with answers to some of life's most daunting questions. 

I knew, watching them get baptized was only the start of their journey. People are to be baptized when they are 8 and older, because at the age of 8, we are aware of good and bad and are capable of making decisions knowledgeably for ourselves. We believe that all men are responsible for their own sins, and not for Adam's transgression. Although Adam's Transgression impacted us all by making us mortal and capable of death, through Jesus Christ's Atonement, we will all be able to live again, as He did. He is Risen, and has overpowered the grave. (2 Nephi 2)

Being able to be an instrument in God's hands is amazing, because as such, I am able to witness so many miracles. One was watching Maria and Nina's testimony of the Book of Mormon grow. I struggled with my own testimony of the Book of Mormon, believing my testimony wasn't strong enough because I had yet to finish it...but when I finally did, I realized something. There is a great sense of joy, relief, and achievement from finishing reading the scriptures...but you don't have to finish the whole thing to know that you have a testimony of it. (Let me clarify, this is not me suggesting NOT to finish reading) But all throughout, the spirit speaks to you, and little by little, helps strengthen your testimony. You don't have to finish it to know it's true - because you can see it every step of the way. Just as Christ is with us in life...He doesn't wait until the last day to prove to us of His existence. He is with us every step, revealing Himself in the most tender mercies or the smallest acts of kindness. 

Doubt your doubts before you doubt your faith. Don't be so quick to believe the thundering voice of the adversary when he tries to convince you your spiritual experiences aren't worth anything - be aware, and heed, the spirit's small promptings. I encourage and invite you, if you haven't already, to read the Book of Mormon, and to pray about it, and be aware of the Spirit. I promise that as you do so, promptings will come more frequently, and your relationship with the Spirit will strengthen. Your ability to choose right from wrong will also increase. I know these things to be true, from the very bottom of my soul. I know that you are loved and extremely special to our Father in Heaven. I leave my testimony and my love with you in the name of Jesus Christ, Amen.       

No comments:

Post a Comment