Sunday, February 7, 2016

Week 11: Helping people get to heaven

Anong Balita, Mahallies?...so...I know my subject line makes it sound like i'm a mass murderer...but it rhymed so i figured you'd all be okay with it lol

(I didn't write last week) These last two weeks have been full of laughs ๐Ÿ’Ÿ
I'm in LOVE with my companion. She's a hoot ahaha. Sister Livermore is awesome at speaking tagalog...but (being the focused missionary that she is) has mainly studied words she could use at a grocery store, during gospel lessons, or when asking directions. So earlier this week, we decided to visit one of our investigators (she's 70+). she was sitting on a chair and everyone was wearing masks when we came in to see her. our investigator told us she was busy and that we should leave because she had to "tae", but my companion (being the friendly person she is) kept talking to her because she didn't know what the word meant. What i'm basically trying to tell you is that "tae" is poop and my companion had a full fledged conversation with a 70+ woman mid-poop and it was the most hilarious thing i've ever watched. 

In other news, I got really confidently artistic with my tagalog during one of our lessons this week. I told one of the families we've been teaching that "the church isn't for perfect people, it's for people who have aching hearts" ...but apparently literal translation of "aching heart" isn't a saying here and "sakit sa puso" actually means "heart attack". SOOOOO the church is made for people who have heart attacks. thank you, tagalog hahahaha 

On a spiritual note, Lately, I've been thinking about who I am and the type of missionary I want to become...obviously, i want to become one that can ACTUALLY speak the language and bring the spirit to people's homes...but I've come to realize that there are many instances in life where we just go where life takes us and are content with where we end up. But...the thing is, if you have no goals, you're going to look back in life and realize you never REALLY stretched yourself and never actually worked to achieve your full potential. 

So for my personal study this week, I studied about having "real intent". It made me question the decisions i've made in my life...Why do we do the things we do? Why do we do good deeds? Is it just because others see us, and we get a gold star or a pat on the back every time we do? What is the REAL motive behind it all? We have to make the most out of our lives. God didn't give us agency to choose so we could be ACTED UPON. we are meant to ACT & to make meaningful, purpose-filled decisions to help us grow into someone more Christlike. Don't let our actions today  hinder what God can use us for tomorrow. When we strive to align our will with God's, it makes us SO much happier to choose to do what He would have us do. We could never be perfect in this world...but we can be worthy. 

So as a missionary, I've committed to do my best, because this life is God's test. When I fail to do my part, I'm robbing other people of happiness and potentially robbing them of their opportunity to get to know God. If I'm not worthy of my calling, I'm not worthy of the blessings that come from it either. and there is SO much joy that comes from being out here - it'd be a shame to waste it all. 


I know Heavenly Father and Jesus Christ live. I know they love and know each of you personally. I know that this gospel is true, and it makes me INCREDIBLY happy to be out here sharing it. 

I love you guys, and I hope you're growing closer to God everyday. Hope to hear from you soon. 

All the love, 

Sister Calica๐Ÿ˜˜

here's a picture of me eating chicken intestines lol and one with the little loves of my life ๐Ÿ˜


No comments:

Post a Comment