Saturday, November 7, 2015

MTC Week #4

Dear Mahallies,

(Yes, I'm conjugating Tagalog words like it's english. I'm out of control #RebelWithoutACause (mahal=love)) So this upcoming wednesday will mark my 4th week here at the Provo, UT MTC (Mission Training Center). I'm leaving to the Philippines on Thanksgiving, and I'm actually going to be dropping by the LAX for a connecting flight before I head off! Ugh, so bittersweet to get a glimpse of home right before I head off, but I'm so grateful. I figured, since I only have two more weeks in the US, I should probably let you all know I'm still alive and well while the internet connection is flawless and we're somewhat near the same timezone. 

These last three/fourish weeks have been full of more ups than downs.

Week one, I learned that the MTC is actually just like an extended version of BYU (not actually true, but in my opinion, they're basically the same). I thought I'd be dying of homesickness and suffering with the learning, but because they were so similar, it was easy to jump into the process of learning a new language and making new friends. I feel like there's a definite reason why I came when I did. I planned to leave for my mission at 19, but for me personally, the extra year of experience away from home made it so much easier to focus and help my new friends with their homesickness and struggles out here. 

A missionary must always have a companion(aka kasama in tagalog), to protect and to learn from. My companion's name is Sister Lyndee Romrell! She's from Idaho and loves to hunt and listens to country music. She didn't expect to go out of the states when she got her mission call, and had only slightly heard of the tagalog language. I'm not going to lie...adjusting to being with a person 24 hours a day was like growing an extra limb and trying to act like it was normal....hahahaha but my new limb's pretty cool now that we've gotten to know each other. 

(MISSIONARY VOCAB: Zone: All missionaries serving a certain area // District: All missionaries who are serving in the same area and are leaving at the same time// P-day: preparation day aka time to relax aka mine are on saturdays)


My kasama and I are the only sisters in our district, but that's totally fine because all the elders we're with are complete goofballs! Since we're all in class together 24/7, i've really developed a love for each of them. My mom sent me a package of love and goodies for halloween, and since halloween happened to fall on a P-Day, we brought out a couple blankets and had a picnic in the park in front of the Provo Temple and played mafia! It was pretty awesome (:

I've developed lots of friendships since I've gotten here, but I think the one I've developed most is mine with God. With the 4 weeks I've been out here, Recently, I've tried to make my prayers mean a little something more than usual. I feel like too often i've fallen into the habit of "Dear Heavenly Father...thank you for this, please bless me with this, in the name of Jesus Christ Amen"...and It hasn't been personal at all. I've learned if you want to talk to God, pray...but if you want God to talk to you, read your scriptures & seek Him out.I've learned to see His hand so much more in my life. All the letters of love and support I've received from those of you who took the time to send some were such tender blessings of motivation for me to keep pushing forward. I don't think you realize how much it means to me to know that someone else is thinking of me, but it really touched my heart in a way I can't describe. I've learned that the only way I'm going to learn this language is if I depend on him. It's overwhelming to think that I only have 6 weeks to learn a language. 6 weeks to learn about Christ's teachings. 6 weeks to mentally adjust to living with rice fields and dirt roads..but somehow, it's happening. I've learned that before I can do any of that I have to develop my own testimony of God's love. Because as I learn to love Him more, my want and need to serve others grows, and so does my capacity to learn. I don't know how much any of you know about Jesus Christ's atonement - but I know that Jesus gave his life for each and every one of you. I know He gave his life for me, and that he didn't only suffer for my sins...he suffered for my pains as well. He came down to experience our sadness and burdens so that he'd know, to the fullest extent, what we were suffering through and how to get us through it. I've learned that there's nothing we can do that could hinder his love for us - God is the one person who knows all our flaws and still loves us completely. So we should strive a little harder to walk in His footsteps, because He's walked in ours. 


Anyways, I want you all to know that I love you a ton and that I hope you are all doing well. I'd love to hear from each of you, so please don't hesitate to email or snailmail me a letter! I reply on Saturdays, so until next week, take care mahallies <3 

XOXO YOUR MISSIONARY,

Sister Calica






No comments:

Post a Comment