Saturday, November 21, 2015

MTC Week #6

DEAR MAHALLIES

T-MINUS 3(ish) DAYS BEFORE TAKEOFF!!! 

I am beyond excited to leave, but at the same time, soooooo scared. I always get cold feet when it comes to big changes like this - and I could feel the anxiety building up! I'm sweating bullets over here! Ah, but I definitely feel the support and love from back home, and honestly, that's what keeps me going on the rough days.You can't tell, but one of the new elders (His name is elder walsh, he's tall and white as snow and ultimately the greatest person ever) is a Brit (his voice is beautiful) and he gave me a blessing this week. I'd asked for it because I'd been feeling so anxious about leaving for the PI. I just felt like I needed the extra support and comfort to know that this was right for me. The blessing was so relieving - it was like the moment he laid his hands on my head and began to speak, all my fears fled the room and it was filled with this peace. I'd never been so grateful, or so in need, of the priesthood. 

I've been thinking a lot about serving, and how it must seem strange to others to sacrifice a year and a half of my life. It really isn't a sacrifice at all though - it's an honor. I get to help others find comfort and strength and the answers to what our purpose is here, where we came from, and where we're going. Aahaha The language barrier scares me a little bit though - I'm still working on structuring solid sentences/conjugating words. AGH honestly I love learning tagalog but the sinking-in process is still pending hahahaha. I know that ultimately, i'm just a mouth piece. The language isn't a barrier- lack of the spirit is.If it's God's will, the power of the message will be conveyed, so I'm not too worried. I've seen it for myself Hahaha I have one picture of me and a red headed elder (His name's Elder Passey & he's headed to Japan in 4 weeks!) and he's an amazing elder! He bore his testimony for me in Japanese, and I had no idea what he was saying, but the spirit and conviction was there LOL so there you go folks - the spirit's like magic ahahaha

This last week has been so great. It snowed, and I usually dread the cold...but considering the fact that I probably will spend the next 17 months sweating my brains out, I was a pretty happy camper (and it made for a great photo opp) 😇 

 I just wanted to explain the background stories behind one of the pictures I'm sending, because this person impacted my life in such a wonderful way.

1. The story behind the picture of me and Sister Borja (She's the African American sister headed to Idaho) is really special to me. My first week here at the MTC was really rough. I was struggling with the language and with my companion and didn't understand why I felt so alone. I was on the couch all swollen eyed from being upset and just decided to sleep there for the night. I was so upset, because I felt like I had no friends at all, and no one cared enough to even ask...and just as that thought passed my mind, This sweet sister touched my arm and said "Sister - are you okay? I don't speak english very well, but if you need to talk...I come out here when I get upset sometimes. I just want you to know, I love you sister!" I was so shocked by her kindness - i honestly couldn't wrap my head around the fact that she would come up to a complete stranger and be so loving. I started crying again, this time such happy tears, because I felt God's love through this sister. She really was such a tender mercy to me. She's left to Idaho a couple days ago, but I know she's going to be an amazing, spiritual missionary 🙌

A lot has changed since my first week, and every week since, I've been showered with so much love from back home AND here at the MTC. I got letters and chocolate bars and music boxes and cupcakes and just all the love in the world - i couldn't be more grateful. You know you're doing life right when you dress up in work out clothes then stuff your face with cupcakes. It's just the way a good life should be. ahahaha

anyways I love you all. I'm out of time, and these are all just scattered thoughts of all the love i've felt this week and exciting things that happened, but I hope that you enjoy the read! Please take care - next time you hear from me, i'll be in the PI! I'd love to know what's going on in your lives, and you're always in my prayers. (if there's anything you feel like you want me to pray about for you specifically, please email me and tell me!) I really only wish the best for you. Ingat my loves 😘💟💟💟

Your missionary,

Sister Calica


























No comments:

Post a Comment