Monday, April 18, 2016

Always Think of Christ

Mahallies!

I'm really hoping that you guys are doing well because I miss you tons! This week, we gained a couple new housemates...and I have a picture of one of them attached. Haha guys, I'm not even kidding, Sister McBride (the newest missionary at our house) and I were LITERALLY screaming at the sight of this monster. This spider was bigger than my face! AND IT COULD BOLT LIKE LIGHTNING. Haha, and then, that same night, when I finally summed up the courage to get over the spider, I was in the backyard/kitchen, washing my clothes (because here in the Phils, we believe in buckets and good, sturdy, scrubbin' arms). I felt like I was being watched...so I looked over (without my glasses) and could've sworn I saw a gray cat staring at me. I stood up shocked as it rushed forward toward me, and realized it was a HUGE DISGUSTING RAT IN OUR HOUSE and literally had to step out of the way for it to get past me and wiggle it's gigantic, fat, filthy body under our ventilator. I honestly don't know how it even fit under there. I'm pretty sure it'll be stuck there forever, because unless it goes on a hardcore diet and does a couple sit ups...oh my gosh anyways, you guys get it, it was traumatizing. 


Other than that, life over here has been made of ups and downs for the last couple weeks. I'm convinced it's because I feel like we're literally walking on the sun out here. Don't be surprised if I come back to you guys in a jar, because I'm MELTING INTO A PUDDLE OF SWEAT AND TEARS. But they're happy tears, I promise ahaha. They really are. I'm more grateful to be out here than you know!

Anyways, like I said, this week has been a little more challenging than others. It's easy to be discouraged, and easy to give up...but what builds and proves our character is how we choose to act during times of hardship. The way we react is our choice. Being offended by others is a choice. But allowing ourselves to be offended and STAY OFFENDED rather than growing from the experience...that's a mistake. Refusing to acknowledge our weaknesses is a sign of pride...and this week, I've realized that humility and patience are Christ-like attributes everyone can benefit from developing. 

We weren't put on this earth to be remembered - we were put here to prepare for eternity. We weren't put here to compete, or to be the "greatest" because "greatest" implies that we are comparing ourselves to others...and in reality, the only person we should be trying to emulate is Jesus Christ. 

So this week, I posted up a large sticky note on my desk with the words "ALWAYS THINK OF CHRIST" to remind me to be kinder. And it was amazing the difference it made. Every single time I wanted to say something unkind, or felt irritated, or had my mind clouded with angry thoughts...I looked at these words, and would see His name, and it would simmer me down. I found peace by just LOOKING at His name. Because it made me think, He wouldn't think these thoughts about this person. He loves them as much as He loves me...and if I think about it, I'm sure Christ could've gotten frustrated at me for my imperfections and shortcomings...but he hasn't. He's continued to forgive me and allow me to learn from my mistakes. I've only felt His love and patience overflow in my life. And the least I can do was share that same love with others. Think of Christ before you act. Give Him your struggles, and realize that He rewards you for your patience and for your willingness to become more like Him. And as you change your bad habits of reacting to fast or being impatient, you will see the impact it has on your character. The change we are seeking will not happen all at once, but we can commit to giving our all at the beginning of every day. "Seek Heavenly guidance one day at a time...Each one of us can be true for just one day." - President Monson

My invitation for all of you today is to ask yourselves, "What can I do to show God I love Him a little more today?" and "What can I do to be more Christ-like?" 

I promise, if you ask with the faith to act on the answer, you will find so much more beauty in change!

I love you all and know that you're capable of growth. It's one of the GREATEST things about this gospel - we're made to progress. We go from bad to good, good to better, better to best, and best to perfect (through Christ). There is no limit to our progression, so there's always more we can do! Seek to be better than the person you were yesterday, and more like our Savior & Redeemer, Jesus Christ.

You're in my prayers, as always. Take care always!

All the love,

Sister Calica


No comments:

Post a Comment